Saturday, April 29th, 2017: Taking place in Savannah's renowned Forsyth Park, the 36th annual SCAD Sidewalk Arts Festival brings out the best in students and alumni as they compete for prizes in this yearly tradition. You will be amazed at the colorful chalk designs these artists produce along the sidewalks that weave through Forsyth Park. A sure sign that Spring is in full bloom, come out and enjoy's Savannah's best!
Important Information About the Event
- Chalk distribution begins at 10 a.m.
- Pick up your chalk by 11 a.m. at the distribution tent. Unclaimed squares will be released if participants are not checked in by 11 a.m.
- You will be given a map to locate your square.
- You may begin drawing at 11 a.m. You are encouraged to begin on time to ensure quality work.
- Judging begins at 2 p.m.
- Results are announced at about 4 p.m.
- What time can you reasonably expect to see finished works of art? 2-3pm is typically when most pieces are complete.
Image courtesy of Mike McBride
- Can civilians vote? No; Only students, alumni, and prospective students.
- When do they announce the winners? Winners are announced around 4pm and have the opportunity to place within several winning categories. You'll notice that many of the squares will have a common theme because of these categories.
- How is event parking? Parking is as expected for this time of year. There is a small lot for the park and street parking. The further out you get the better the likelihood of finding a spot. Forsyth Park is pretty close to all of downtown Savannah, so an affordable Uber can take out some of the hassle or parking.
- Can kids and families draw on the sidewalks? Families are encouraged to bring their own chalk and let their little ones color on the squares that are not being used as part of the festival.
- Are pets and alcohol allowed in Forsyth Park during this event? Yes, they are both allowed with the understanding that your pet is on a leash and you pick up after them & if you are 21 and enjoying an adult beverage in a responsible manner you can bring your own cold beverage to the event.
- Are there vendors? There are usually 5-8 food vendors as well as several Coca-Cola stands and Leopold's Ice Cream stands.
Nearby Restaurants Bars
Here are some of our favorite cafes, markets, restaurants, and bars close by that we like to take the party to afterward.
Coming into town for the event or know some friends or family who are? Here are almost 30 of our amazing vacation rentals that are perfect for enjoying the Sidewalk Arts Festival:
See Our Favorites